Friday, December 10, 2010

Android Platform vs Apple Control

I am the happy owner of an HTC EVO Android based phone.  I really like the big bright screen, the flexibility and power of the interface, the great and growing number of apps, and the service plan from Sprint.  The only thing that I didn't like was that the battery life was a little bit short.  I was able to make it through a normal full day, but around 9 or 10 pm the battery would be completely spent.  So I bought an extended battery from Seidio.  It is a big battery so it comes with a new back for the phone which ends up making it almost twice as thick for a portion of the back of the phone.  Now it is perfect for me.  I like that the battery lasts longer, more than I do an extremely thin phone.

The iPhone is also a great phone.  Many people are very happy with it.  As a matter of fact, if it had been available on Sprint a couple of years ago I probably would have gotten one.  With the iPhone you have to have AT&T as your carrier.  You also have to use iTunes, the Apple App store, and your interface is a grid of icons and a single button.  If you like this then great.  If you want something a bit different, then Apple doesn't have a solution for you.

The great thing about Android is that there is a wide range of devices offered by different carriers with different plans and different prices.  Everybody should be able to find a phone that fits their wants best, and still have access to a great set of applications and games.

The iPhone is not going to go away, but it also isn't currently a broad enough platform to keep the market share it has.  If the rumors are true this time, and the iPhone does become available on Verizon then this is a step in broadening their platform.  But it doesn't open up the whole market in the way the wide variety and availability of Android phones has done over the past year or two.

I like my phone. Although I think Apple would tell me that it is too big, the interface is too complicated, and the Android Market Place app store is uncontrolled and dangerous!  All of those things are exactly what I want.