Thursday, December 15, 2011

Front Row Seats Are The Best

I went to see the UT men's basketball team play with my 10 year old son last week.  We had seats on the first row in the upper deck.  It was a mid-week game, so the attendance was pretty light.  I told him that after about 10 minutes into the game, we could go down to the lower level and get seats that were probably only 15 or 20 rows back from the floor.  He told me that he didn't want to change seats.  The seats we had were awesome because nobody was in front of him.  He could see great.

This reminds me to keep my perspective in context. Not everybody has the same

I have run many performance tests with a wide variety of applications in a wide variety of configurations on vSphere (ESX or ESXi).  I know that performance is great.  We spend most of our time figuring out how to improve that last few percentage points, analyzing the outliers, and testing new features and versions.  I don't consider performance to be an issue, but something that can be fine tuned and improved.

When I talk with customers that are relatively new to virtualization, I am reminded that not everybody has this same perspective.  We are still working to prove to them that it does perform very well. (Which is actually a pretty cool job!)  Fortunately, our performance has improved with every version and we have lots of success stories as well.  This makes it easier to show people and convince them why virtualization is a great platform. They can get all the advantages of virtualization and maintain great performance.

It turned out that those upper deck seats on the first row were pretty great.  We could see everything really well and we had a great time watching the game together.

Todd

No comments: