Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Even High Tech Can't Save You From The DMV

My driver's license was about to expire, so the state of Texas sent me a nice letter letting me know it was time to renew.  No problem. I jumped on the website and went to renew my license remotely from the comfort of my home.  No lines and no hassle.  After putting in a bit of information I find out that I have to - gasp - go the the DMV office in person to renew.  And stand in line.


I think that the last time I renewed it person was at least 10 years ago, maybe longer.  I know that I have done at least one renewal online and maybe two other times by snail mail and a paper check.

I look at my picture from my old license and I realize that is the reason I must go in person.  I'm not that young kid in the picture anymore.  Wouldn't it be cool if the DMV could somehow get a new verified picture over the web.  While this would be really cool - it's actually a lot easier for them to just require you to show up in person once every decade or so.  If they had a Software Defined Verified Picture As A Service - SDVPaaS - that would be awesome.

The day before my birthday (which is when my license was set to expire) I got up early and was at the DMV a little bit before it opened at 8 am.  There was a line of about 40 people, which was mostly teenagers looking to take their driving test.


I waited in line for about 40 minutes.  I smiled for the camera and paid the renewal fee.  Almost painless.

Maybe in 10 years they will have some new tech that will save me from another trip to the DMV.



No comments: